When I was 12, I was given a Raspberry Pi. For the first couple of days, it was really fun. After I had browsed the web for a while and played a bit of Minecraft, it sat in it’s box for a few months. I really had no idea what to do with it. That was until I discovered that I could build a website with it.
I have a bit of a complex set up with all my sites and services, mainly due to using a multitude of different tools and languages to deploy different things. Currently, I have one main OVH server which most of my stuff is hosted on, including different database engines, Node.js and PHP apps.
Although the PiGlow visualisation of CPU usage was pretty, we reckoned we could go a couple of steps further and integrate a much more complete tangible solution – a hardware-driven load monitor dashboard.
Made of cardboard.
This was to be driven by two high torque servos (Ben had them lying around) which would rotate according to whichever performance indicator we chose. Servos are not, of course, very good pointers so with a trusty craft knife to the fore we re-purposed some Pi packaging into a cardboard user interface.
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine reminded me about Docker. Docker is a containerisation platform which allows you to deploy different systems very quickly and efficiently on the same host machine. Not only that, you can put several Docker hosts together in order to create a swarm. It’s like VMs, but cooler.
I recently undertook the expedition phase of my Gold Duke of Edinburgh in a Canadian open canoe. The team and I paddled from just outside Thetford all the way down to Cambridge on the River Thet, the Little Ouse, the Great Ouse and finally, the Cam.
For the expedition, we needed to have an “aim”. This could be anything from photographing the team at checkpoints to measuring the water PH levels. My team opted to photograph wildlife along the way and due to this, I took along my Nikon Coolpix P610 because it featured GPS – something I thought would be useful when it came to showing where the photos were taken! The camera also had a “logging” mode which allowed logging of it’s location, speed and altitude, every
n number of seconds for
x amount of time. I set it to every 30s for 12 hours each morning before we left so that I could see our precise route.